Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day three - the day of ugh

Of course the week I decide to get back on track is the same week we are setting record high temperatures in Denver. Of course. Of course the week I decide to get back on track is the week I get a ton of requests for drop in child care. Of course. So Tuesday be damned.

We had it set for a 6:00 PM run. Awesome. And by "we" I mean the dear K, the wonderful J and myself, all with kidlets in tow. It was going to be a Bob revolution for sure! (That's a mommy joke) Three grown ups and six tiny humans. I was gearing up for it. I was excited about it. I was looking forward to it. To be honest, I freaking needed it.

Here's a little something. I'm lucky. I mean really lucky. I have a husband that works hard so I can stay home with P Bear. We have a family that helps support that choice. We make sacrifices and work hard - no cable TV, we make our own bread, take camping trips instead of vacations, wait for movies to come out on DVD, we drive used cars, I watch kids in the neighborhood and take odd jobs here and there - you know, the usual stuff. My days are generally filled with wonder and happiness and tons of laughter. My little guy is a remarkably good kid. Please don't ask me how "I" do it. I don't think I have much to do with it. He's just naturally a really, really good kid. There are very few timeouts and consequences over here, not because I spoil him, but because he spoils me. I truly get to enjoy raising my son.

So why Tuesday had a big stank on it, I have no idea. I guess we all have bad days. I was cranky. P was cranky. Nothing seemed to work. I had more "dealings" with Comcast. Things kept falling. I kept dropping everything I picked up. It was a ball of frustration wrapped up in a big bow of WTF. It was one of those day when all you want to do is yell "AAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!" at the top of your lungs. And at one point I did. Now ask me how horrible I felt afterwards. I don't yell. Not in my house. I don't yell. But Tuesday I yelled. It wasn't pretty and I'm not proud. It was just the one "aarrgghh!" but still, I felt like a genuine lump of dung. So yeah, I needed a run. Big time.

Mid morning we got a text from the dear K saying she was not going to be able to do the run. Ok, the wonderful J and I were gonna go for it. I was watching a little neighborhood boy who's folks were picking him up at 6:00, so perfect timing for the 6:00 run! The wonderful J send me a text that she is running errands and would be over for the run. I'm feeling so much better now. Just before 6:00 I get a "screw this heat" text. The wonderful J was bailing. Understandably though. Her auto broke down and she lost the air conditioning and she was downtown with two kids in 99* weather. I so get it. Ok, I'll go  after my man gets home and just do a solo. I'm cool with that.

Just after the little boy's parents pick him up, my neighbor comes over and says he'll cook the main dish for dinner if we cook the sides. Ok. I'm always up for free meat. Especially since his meat was of the steak variety. My man got home and we started cooking the sides. It's about 7:00 now. The sides are going, I put on my shoes and say "honey I'm going for a run". Eeeerrrk! (that's the sound of slamming on the breaks) "Hey, can you wait till after dinner? I'm reading to P and I thought you could finish cooking the potatoes". Sigh. Ok. Shoes off.

Dinner was delicious. I had fillet mignon. Thank you. I also had a BIG glass of wine. A bigger thank you. By the time we finished cooking, eating and chatting it was already 9:something. Bye bye run. Hello clean the kitchen. The day was shot. No exercise, except in frustration.

The day in food was ok, but not great. I had the toast with peanut butter for breakfast. I had the salad for lunch. I also had a couple of bites of P Bear's tortilla smothered in Nutella snack. I had the fillet with garlic mashed potatoes and corn, the big glass of wine and one small scoop of low fat ice cream.

Off to bed and dreams of a better day four...

No comments:

Post a Comment